Wheeled Loading Shovel Refresher
Refresh your skills in using wheeled loading shovels on our intensive 1-day course.
Overview in brief
Wheeled loading shovels are key pieces of heavy duty equipment within the land-based and construction industries.
They’re used for a multitude of tasks when moving and loading materials.
Their versatility and wide use means that it’s especially important that you’re fully trained in their safe and efficient use.
Our 1-day course will update your knowledge and refresh your practical skills in operating these loading shovels safely at work.
On successful completion, you’ll receive a certificate for a loading shovel (wheeled).
The finer details
Our 1-day refresher course covers both training and practical assessment.
It will update your knowledge in operating a wheeled loading shovel.
You’ll cover all the critical legislation and learn about the nuts and bolts of this machine- its components, instruments and controls.
Then it’s onto the practical aspects.
You’ll be shown how to carry out pre-shift and daily checks to prevent accidents.
You’ll have plenty of practice in stopping, starting and operating the machine.
We’ll also cover how to operate the front shovel, the multi-purpose bucket and all aspects of excavating.
Site safety, driving on the roads and any possible problems will then be reviewed.
- Working in the construction industry
- Specific legislation/guidance on LOLER
- Components of loading shovels
- Stability of the machine
- Familiarisation with instruments and controls
- Stopping and starting the machine
- Accident prevention
- Pre-shift checks
- Daily checks
- Operating the multi-purpose bucket
- Operating factors – excavate
- Site safety
- Operating the machine: driving; use of front shovel; stockpile; site strip; ramp; load vehicle
- Driving on the highway and transportation
- Possible problems.
Who should attend?
Our 1-day refresher course is for you if you’re an experienced operator of a wheeled loading shovel and work in the land-based or construction industries.
It will update your knowledge and skills to ensure that you’re operating this machine safely and confidently.
You’ll also gain certification to demonstrate your operator skills.
What will be covered?
At the end of this course you’ll be able to:
- Identify the basic construction and components, and the purpose and use of all controls and gauges
- Identify and comply with manufacturers’ instructions in accordance with the operator’s handbook, other information sources and applicable legislation (PUWER, LOLER)
- Carry out all pre-use and running checks
- Set the loading shovel for travel
- Travel over differing types of terrain, including rough undulating ground, both in a loaded and unloaded state
- Travel up and down substantial inclines in a loaded and unloaded state
- Manoeuvre in confined areas using forward and reverse direction in a loaded and unloaded state
- Carry out excavations from an embankment of different materials and form stockpiles and ramps
- Ensure load integrity and security
- Backfill, spread and level differing types of material using a multi-purpose front bucket (tracked)
- Carry out excavations from below ground level (tracked)
- Load various types of materials into receptacles, such as vehicles, hoppers and so on
- Place the loading shovel in an out-of-service condition
- Explain the loading and unloading procedures on and off a transporter.